Sunday, December 31, 2006

It's hard to blog when everyone is home!

Kids home from school, husband home from work...that all equals 'too much stuff happening around me'. We had a nice Christmas, but I don't think I got to spend more than 5 minutes with my mom. Seriously. I was really sad when she left. Plus, the few days around Christmas are always really tough with Ethan...too much excitement, stuff going on, new stuff, whatever...just puts him in an awful mood which makes it hard on everyone.

Steven decided to start on putting in "wood"-not real wood, but the fake whatever they call it wood-floors. We have always planned on painting, also, so I thought we should paint before the new floor, so he's doing that right now. It only took us 5 tries to get the right color green. We wanted a Sage Green, but everything is either minty or too dark. He first painted the whole downstairs hallway, and it was so light that you could only tell the difference between the new green and the old white if you knew to look for it! So we picked 2 more colors and got a quart of each. One was so dark the house would have looked like a cave, and the other was totally mustard yellow! Mind you, we were putting a lot of thought into this...not just throwing a dart at random colors. So back to Lowe's for 2 more quarts of different colored greens. Finally, one of them worked ok, and we weren't going to mess with it anymore! Why can't they make those samples more true to life???

So far, he's gotten the downstairs hallway and the kitchen. Oh...and I bought curtains for the kitchen and got them up right before Christmas, and Molly has been climbing on them and now they are full of holes. (She climbs the curtains when she's not trying to climb up the chimney. She is so dirty! And we have to pin the gate closed in the middle to keep her out!) I have big plans on curtains for the family room, but...I'm rethinking those. Oh well, we've already gone a year and a half without curtains....

Also...I'm going to redo my office and make it a real craft room/studio/Mommy's Work! I can't wait to get started on that! I was going to do it this past week, also, but now I think I'll just wait until Ethan and Allison are back in school. It also involves the new flooring and paint (but not green) and new shelving so I'll have somewhere to put my stuff other than the floor. And as soon as I can find my camera, I will take a before picture-because you wouldn't believe me if I told you how bad it is anyway. lol! Well, maybe my mom would, because I grew up in her house...and she tried to walk in there last week. "Tried" being the operative word here.

Just in case anyone was wondering if the girls were actually my children or not (there's never really been a question about Claire, but Allison does lean more toward Steven's side), Allison is heading full-speed into Teenagedom, and is now growing cultures and various other things in her room in the bowls and glasses she leaves in there, hidden for weeks at a time. You know, just like mom taught me to do when I was a kid. And Claire has been announcing, "We need a maid!". LOL! I totally agree!

It's hard to clean house when everyone is home, too!

That's about it for our holidays so far...everyone fairly healthy and no one hurt and no ER trips. Well, unless you count my vaccuuming accident yesterday. That's what I get for trying to be domestic. It didn't require a trip to the ER, but, I did cry, so you know it hurt! It was worse than childbirth AND breaking that bone in my foot put together!

Wishing everyone a happy, safe and healthy 2007!

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Okay, I must know about this vacuuming accident. Summer before last I injured myself and needed 6 stitches doing laundry. I'm a total klutz.

Happy new year! I'm in my pjs already.

Lauri said...

YEOUCH! See what happens when we try and do good things, like cook and clean? lol

OK-some background first-last Spring I dropped an entire bolt of fabric, some muslin from the top row/shelf at Wal-Mart, on the top of my foot. If I had had real shoes on, it probably wouldn't have been so bad, but, being here in TX I only wear real shoes about 5 days a year, and that day wasn't one of them. I was wearing flip-flops. So, it broke a bone in my foot.

Yesterday, while vaccuuming BAREFOOTED, I was lifting up an arm chair with one hand and trying to run the vaccuum under it with the other. At some point, the vaccuum ran over my foot-across the toenail of my big toe and the middle of my foot. I honestly don't think I've ever been in so much pain! The thing is, it was all in my toe, and I didn't even notice that my foot was hurting until much later, after ice, and about 4 Advils and 2 Aleves. Then I noticed my foot was throbbing and swollen...and my toenail was creased down into the nailbed like someone/thing had tried to fold it in half.

I think I'm supposed to be learning a lesson about wearing shoes, but I'm just going to take it as I shouldn't be doing these domestic things...that's what the children are for, right? lol!

Now I gotta hear your laundry story, otherwise that will be me sooner or later!

And I bet I was in my pjs before you were last night! lol!