Wednesday, January 04, 2006

So the kids are back in school...

And everything is back to normal...right? RIGHT??? Yeah, like my life is normal anyway!

So, yesterday was nice...just Claire and I...went to the art store (ok, ok, it's a scrapbooking store, but I don't use the supplies for scrapping. I use them for art. There is a difference! And the scrapbook people don't seem to understand that! The people who work there are always so sweet and nice, and want to know "what kind of layout" I'm doing. I tell them I'm not scrapbooking-which first gets this "what kind of person are you" look from them-and that I am doing mixed media art. Which then gets the "Oh! So you must be the devil!" look from them. So...I call it an art store, because I can't find good art stores like they had in Houston here.)

Anyway, I was talking about something......
Oh yeah, Claire and I went to the art store, Super Target (!), which also means Starbucks (!). Had a great time. Came home and tried some new stuff...I made a collage and then covered it in beeswax. TOO COOL! After I covered it in the wax, I took my heat tool and melted some of the wax off, added more stuff, then more wax, then melted more off...this is a great piece. Well, I had a lot of fun making it, so it looks great to me. I worked on it for about 4 hours and had no clue that it was 9:00 pm until Steven came out to the garage to check on me because Claire was afraid the coyotes were going to get me! lol!

Problem is, I just started it out on a piece of watercolor paper, because I was just playing around and experimenting. Now I'm trying to figure out how I can mount and hang it!

In other news...Ethan brought home a speech 'report card' that claims he has mastered like 86% of the goal of being able to say his R's. Ummm, hello? Sure, if you are sitting with him and ask him to say "read", maybe he can do it. But have you heard him talking in real life?!? "Read"="weed" and "Run, rabbit, run!"="Won, wabbit, won!" I don't think he has a 'B' in R's. lol!

And Allison...oh, the hormones! I know it is only beginning, but please, God, let this go fast! Well, maybe not fast...she can stay a kid for a while...but smoothly! Please let it go smoothly! Oy!

5 comments:

Lori said...

My god Lauri! I haven't been blogging for so long and I finally make it back *thanks for the prod* and look what you've done with the place! Holy shit girl it looks great!!!!
You are so friggen creative! Do you keep all of your artwork or are you working on a show?

As far as Ethan....I am going to go through the same stuff with Ben. Sigh It's so annoying.

Lauri said...

I used to keep some; some I would add into gifts for other people as a 'freebie' (lol!); and some I sold at a shop in the Galleria in Houston. But that was all before Claire was born. Then when we moved, I threw out the stuff I had.

I honestly didn't know it was an actual accepted form of art. It was just something I always did.

Now, though, I've come to realize it's considered Mixed Media. So, I'm working on making some for a 'portfolio' of sorts, and maybe sell some in the future. I haven't been able to do as much as I wanted to lately, though.

Oh, and I don't know if you saw it or not, but, I started another blog, ArtSmith, for the art stuff. I just don't really have anything on there yet. But soon!

Any new stuff on Ben? Or just the same 'ol, same 'ol?

Lori said...

So....is it here on blogger.com? The art site? I need to favorite it. I'll find it. hehe

Nothing new on Ben. Won't be for a bit anyway. We are all sitting around waiting for him to get older so they can cross off his age as a determining factor for his immaturity and behavior.

Tree said...

Well now you have to post a pic of your new piece...!

kimzbuzz said...

LMAO!!! i have a friend who has a 17 yr-old and a pre-teen...GIRLS! she says it is a nightmare with the second one...sorry. :o( but you have a long time before Claire!!! Glad you have a break for a while! :o)

Have a great day...looking for the picture of your new art!!